←  Supplements

LONGECITY

The above is an ad! Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
»

Hair Loss Prevention

2tender's Photo 2tender 02 Jan 2012

Propecia is known to be an unpopular med with a high side effect profile. For hair the best otc ive found is Tocotrienols, they work on the male hormonal axis in a beneficial way, women can use this for hair also.

Lufega's Photo Lufega 02 Jan 2012

It's based on Ray Peat's stuff. Basically, PUFAs are bad, and not really essential. Also excess tryptophan/methionine/cysteine are bad, and need to be balanced with the protective glycine. There's lots more, but I don't know if you're interested.

I'm interested. I've recognized that we get way more TMC than glycine/proline but have no idea what problems that can bring. I try to take a heaping tablespoon of gelatin anytime I can remember.

And the really controversial stuff: sugar is good for you!

I re-read that part a couple of times. I thought my eyes were deceiving me !

diana_2000's Photo diana_2000 02 Jan 2012

Propecia is known to be an unpopular med with a high side effect profile. For hair the best otc ive found is Tocotrienols, they work on the male hormonal axis in a beneficial way, women can use this for hair also.

Do you get results with tocotrienols?

Logan's Photo Logan 02 Jan 2012

I don't know man, I think there are a lot of men that will take it for the rest of their lives and be jusst fine. You guys are acting lime its straight up poison for everyone. Its like the shit I hear people say about ssris.

To me it is poison, and so are SSRI's.

But go ahead, give it a try. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.
Dont let any females come in contact with the pills and if you plan on having children make sure to come off the drug a few months before hand as there is a high chance of birth defects.

I cant see how anyone taking this drug would not see some sides, blocking one hormone and raising another (estrogen) has to have an effect on everyone. The change is slight and the onset is slow which could be why people might miss it and attribute it to age.

I'm tellin you man, many people don't experience any side effects. It's just like people on SSRIs, many simply thrive and do well for a very long time. There will be detrimental effects with part of the population with all drugs. Fortunately, I am one of many that simply do not re.spond badly, and mostly respond very positively to many drugs. I think people have a bad experience, then read other bad experiences on the internet and research about what drugs do physiologically, and come to the conclusion that they are simply poison for everyone-it's just not true. My brother has been on Propecia for ten years, he looks great and feels great, there's no argument there. The human body can do an amazing job at adapting and finding homeostasis, some people's bodies are just more sensitive than others unfortunately.

Logan's Photo Logan 02 Jan 2012

I'm going to start taking tocotrienols again, along with a few other measures to halt or drastically slow hair thinning. I used to use Nizoral 2 or 3 times a week, I think I need to get back into that as well. I take resveratrol, turmeric, and jarrowsil, all of which I believe may be helping.

goatz's Photo goatz 02 Jan 2012

I don't know man, I think there are a lot of men that will take it for the rest of their lives and be jusst fine. You guys are acting lime its straight up poison for everyone. Its like the shit I hear people say about ssris.

To me it is poison, and so are SSRI's.

But go ahead, give it a try. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.
Dont let any females come in contact with the pills and if you plan on having children make sure to come off the drug a few months before hand as there is a high chance of birth defects.

I cant see how anyone taking this drug would not see some sides, blocking one hormone and raising another (estrogen) has to have an effect on everyone. The change is slight and the onset is slow which could be why people might miss it and attribute it to age.

I'm tellin you man, many people don't experience any side effects. It's just like people on SSRIs, many simply thrive and do well for a very long time. There will be detrimental effects with part of the population with all drugs. Fortunately, I am one of many that simply do not re.spond badly, and mostly respond very positively to many drugs. I think people have a bad experience, then read other bad experiences on the internet and research about what drugs do physiologically, and come to the conclusion that they are simply poison for everyone-it's just not true. My brother has been on Propecia for ten years, he looks great and feels great, there's no argument there. The human body can do an amazing job at adapting and finding homeostasis, some people's bodies are just more sensitive than others unfortunately.

cool, give it a try and report back after 12 months and let us know how you get on.

Regardless of sides, you are inhibiting the conversion of testosterone into DHT which will raise estradiol to some extent.

http://www.keratin.c...metabolism1.gif

Not only are there negative health effects of men with long term elevated estradiol level, it is also feminizing.

I dont think it is a case of are there sides or not, its just a case of whether increased estradiol bothers you or not.

I bet if your brother stopped, after two weeks he would be hornier than a two dicked billy goat, and realise how propecia has blunted his sex drive along with all the other negatives. Is he caring much weight?

hippocampus's Photo hippocampus 07 Jan 2012

which of this supplements/foods could promote hair loss:
milk thistle
fish oil
flaxseed (oil)
pumpkin seed (oil)
coconut oil
zinc (gluconate)
D3
green tea
vitamin C megadoses

and what else could promote hair loss?

revenant's Photo revenant 08 Jan 2012

http://reishi.setame...iculos/art6.pdf

This study identified several natural products

that were inhibitors of 5a-reductase.

It seem that certain molecules from the reishi mushroom impede the formation of DHT.
Edited by revenant, 08 January 2012 - 01:49 AM.

hippocampus's Photo hippocampus 08 Jan 2012

any thoughts about this scalp exercises: http://www.hairloss-...my_approach.htm
do they work or is this just bullshit?

hippocampus's Photo hippocampus 09 Jan 2012

http://www.baldingbl...-and-hair-loss/
has anyone here experienced hair loss because of fish oil/flaxseed oil? i have recently (two months ago) upped my dose to 2 capsules a day and started eating flaxseed - now I'm wondering if my hair has been thinning because of this. I'll go back to 1 capsule a day (which I've been taking for years without hair loss or barely noticable) and report in few weeks.

Logan's Photo Logan 14 Jan 2012

Hmm, wonder if Viviscal has been mentioned in this thread. I'm sure it has..